Translate

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Just another Funky Friday

So I get a text from Susan, one of the organists I sing for in New  Jersey - and all it said was 'funeral, tomorrow, 9:30 ?"  So of course I text back saying "absolutely and thank you." So morning rolls around.  First of all,  I wake up with a horrendous headache - all I want to do is close my eyes and let the headache go away...but I can't - so I take my pain reliever for my headache, hoping it will help - get my coffee - which is essential for my health and well being - and tried to jump start my day -

I drive over to the church and on my way, I talk to my Dad (on my hands free device of course) and he asks .. are you singing for the dead today? "yes dad.. I am off to sing for the dead"  After we exchange pleasantries, and he gives me the lowdown on where my Mom was - I realized that he has not had his coffee yet so I let him go and get to that. (The apple does NOT fall far from the tree)

Anywho, I get to church and walk in and see that there  are a good amount of people there - ready to come in  - So it is getting closer to 9:30 and alot of the parishioners are coming in to take their seats. 

Now I have to explain that there are these bells that toll to let us know that the family has arrived - and when I hear them, I am supposed to announce that the family had arrived and we will be starting soon and tell them what the first hymn will be - Soooo today,  I start to make my announcement - and I got as far as  - "The bells indicate that the family has arr....., "  - All of a sudden, the priest starts the service - (you see, I cannot see him when he begins, I just hear him through the audio system in the church -) so I had to stop talking (man, did I feel like a fool) - I just smiled, put my hands up in the air to indicate that they should rise -

The service began, everything was going fine - but you know you can have a day where you are just not singing your best-  and today was one of those days.. I sang fine, but it just wasn't "right" for me - It is just like anything in life that is not right on, your golf game,  a show you may be doing, a concert, a soccer game - you get the idea..

They had words of remembrance at the end of communion and it was quite interesting - apparently, The mother of these three children (she was 82 when she died) left notes for the kids that they were to read after she had died.  And they were funny!  Telling her kids that raising the kids will be great - but that the teenage years are going to be a challenge - They got a healthy giggle from the congregation. The children kept tag teaming, so they split up the notes that their mom left for them.  The notes were very touching, funny and sweet.

I think that is a great idea - I might start keeping a journal just for my child - that way, he can see the day to day  or week to week ideas, thoughts, what we did, etc.. something just for him - but he won't be able to have it until I am gone.. He will have a long, long read...

You should all think about that  - it is a very sweet sentiment and is very consoling.

Peace out  -

M-

No comments:

Post a Comment