Translate

Monday, November 29, 2010

A bright light on a gray day-

So I get a text on Sunday saying.. "hey are you free for a funeral tomorrow at 9:30?"  "Sure", I reply.. "I am in!"  I get a texted smiley face back and ta da... a funeral is booked.  I don't want to make it sound so easy.. and uncaring..but this is behind the scenes.. what we do as musicians to get a service together for a family-

The funeral that was booked was at a different church.. I always find it interesting when I go to another church to sing. - You know, everyone has their own way of doing things  and I (and other singers) have to be flexible in regards to music, how the service is run, what priest likes   and what the minister of music likes- etc.  I have been doing this so long, I think I do a pretty good job of  "getting the feel" for the church, organist and priest -so far! 

The cool thing at this particular church is that the Minister of Music really has it together!  It is great - She has a sheet that lists certain songs that are appropriate for the funeral  - so the family can choose, or if they don't want to they can leave it up to her to choose.  It is a great system and works very well -
So I get there and she tells me that the family wants Ave Maria. but NOT Amazing Grace.  Well that is easy - so she went through and circled the songs that she thought would be nice - and off we went.

The procession had not started yet and I was setting up my music and then I  saw this cute little boy ( He was only 2 or 3 years old) in the congregation - he kept looking at me and waving and I would wave back- so eventually  I went over to talk to him and his mother. He was adorable, So willing to talk and just such a bright light - what a joy he must be.  I know he didn't understand why he was there - all he did during the service was wave at me  - and then he would pick up a hymnal  and pretend to sing.. it was so cute.  I love times like this - it makes light of a dismal situation -

Anywho - I come to find out that the deceased had gone into the hospital for I believe a heart attack, but once he got there, things went down hill -  they realized that he had pancreatic cancer and many other things wrong - so in a way, the heart attack was a blessing - the end of his life could have been much more painful and drawn out.

It was a lovely service, well as lovely as a funeral service can be - and afterwards I said my goodbyes to my organist - and as I was walking out to my car - there was that little boy again - running around. He wanted to play hide and go seek with me - it was precious - and as I was amongst the mourners, every time that gorgeous little boy would say something, their faces would light up - definitely a bright light on a gray day..


Find your bright light-

Peace out kiddies...

M-

No comments:

Post a Comment