Translate

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Euglogies... 8 - that's right.. I said it.. 8!

Kim Whether

92 years young

This lovely woman was 92 years old..Has, I believe, eight kids, loved her music, dancing .. and her family - It was so evident in the beautiful tribute that was given- All eight of her children came up to speak - and each had beautiful things to say-  And one of her daughters came to sing, yes to sing.  I give this woman so much credit - she had a lovely voice - and she is a cantor in another church near by. I kept listening to her sing, and could only think to myself, "Could I do this?" .. could I sing at my parents funeral(s)?  I just don't know - it is such a personal thing, could I separate myself enough from the actual service to actually do it?  So many people don't have to think about this type of decision.. but I kinda do - at least I think I do- I mean what a better way to honor your parent(s) when you are a singer  then to sing for their funeral- - (Now,of course, after I post this.. you all know I will be getting a call from my parents!)I mean today, for instance, I sang all the masses at church - and one of the hymns was How Great Thou Art - now I know that is one of my Dad's favorites - and every time, every single time, I think of him, and I try not to get teary - and today I was successful!  But I get to thinking, would he want that at his funeral? I just don't know if I could do it.. and ok, really, for my mom? -  forget it.. who am kidding - So I guess the answer for today is No.. I couldn't do it.  But that is today - It might change down the road...

Ok, enough serious talk.. now on to the fun stuff.. We started with the eulogy (and just so you won't feel left out) - Ted did not stray from the norm - he started bitching already.. when he went to out to look to see who was speaking for the eulogy - he comes back and says.."There are seven out there!  What is this about?" Then I asked.. "Well, are you leaving me today?"   "No  - not today" he replied.. Soooo  there you go.. That question sure quieted him down.. for like a minute.


 We then changed the subject and started talking about other cantors that we know.. well he did..hysterical - and  oh yeah, that was fun because of course the conversation continued and we ended up talking about him...his compassion and how he has none - (now we are up to number 6 in the eulogy parade) I then told him that he has no idea how much material he gives me for my blog!  He laughed.. and started  walking out to see what number they were up too - (serving number 7, number 7?) He walks back and says to me " I am sorry, did I say seven?  I meant eight!"  Usually at this point, he whips out his cell phone to call his voicemail - but he left his phone in his car!  So he started to pace, used the phone in the sacristy to check his voicemail - Just watching him is great! He finally calmed down a bit after the eulogies were over - whew.  He is so much fun to work with, I really never know what to expect! 

The service continued  - it was a lovely mass. Her daughter sang so beautifully, did such a lovely job - I was so impressed with her demeanor, and how well she handled herself - She was a bit of an inspiration!

And don't we all need a bit of inspiration sometimes?

Peace Out kiddies....

M-

1 comment:

  1. I think 7 or 8 is too many. It probably gets a bit repetitive. They should get together and write it, then elect someone to speak.

    ReplyDelete