Translate

Friday, October 15, 2010

A double header....

A double header?  I know, I know - "hey, we are not talking about baseball season here.. "  but in my world sometimes I do sing funerals back to back- hence  my affectionate title "double header."  Yeah, I know.. it is wrong.. but really - do you expect any less?

Irma

Born: 1940
Died: September 15, 2009

Irma – was very very involved with her church, heard she was the life of the party, she loved to have a few cocktails..(a woman after my own heart!)  Irma got sick, and was not getting better – but she said that she lived her life exactly how she wanted and she would not change a thing.. Wow.. that is impressive…I hope I can say the same


 - when I am 102 and living at the home.


The Second of the day -


September 15, 2009

  
Mercedes, 92 years young – What a full life, not alot of people were there -
(at 92 - really who is left? Hey that is what my great aunt says..and she is 94)but you could tell that the people that were there were very close to her and really loved her.

This funeral was spoken and sung half in Spanish and half in English, in my many years, I don’t remember doing one quite like this. Usually I would sing one song in Spanish - but this was truly an bilingual mass. I found it very beautiful  and left me wanting to learn the masses in Spanish.  The gentleman that accompanied me that day left me a hymnal that was bilingual. Sweet.
Some of the funeral songs I sang were

Ave Maria  - in Latin - of course...
On eagles wings,
Shepard me, oh G-d
Mass parts were in Spanish and English

Now some behind the scenes: The Priest that presided that day was doing well - LOL - As some of you know, when one has a funeral in the Catholic Church, the Priest is supposed to wear white vestments.  Well - He was chatting so much prior to the service, that he put on green vestments (ones that you would wear on a normal Sunday Service)  and forgot put on the white vestments. So he processes down the aisle, gets to the alter, left the alter, went and changed - (Yes, we kept playing/singing) He then explained to the congregation that it was a ritual to where the white vestments - But he made it seem that it was a ritual to change the vestments from green to white. He was so smooth.
Very smooth… jpw..very.. very smooth.

 I love my job!  LOL



It was a short service, but a very intimate one.  I am glad I was apart of her sending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment