Translate

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Luck of the Spanish?

Well, it is St. Patty's day and of course I was asked to sing a funeral today.  Father Julio was presiding.. I just love him, so full of life and wonderful. The decease was Raphael - it was a cremation.  So that is a little different - They start the funeral the same way as with a casket, but with the urn.  So the funeral went along as normal - there were two readings, a psalm, the Gospel and then of course the homily.  And as I was sitting there I realized that Father Julio was delivering the homily in Spanish, which is totally cool.  So I leaned over to my organist and said.. "Hey, do you understand what he is saying?" You see our new organist is married to this incredible lady whose family is Colombian - so you would think he would understand some of it - but his response was " they are talking way too fast for me - I do better with people who talk very slowly.. you know, like first year Spanish students" I tried so hard not to laugh..man this guy is funny - so glad we have him!

Anywho, back to our story-  So Father Julio was giving his homily, in Spanish, and after he finished - the service went on.  Sometimes I look ahead at the music to see what is coming up - and there I saw it.. Oh Danny Boy.  Yes, I said it. Oh Danny Boy.  All I could think of was the Muppet's version of Oh Danny Boy..  Oh .. boy oh boy....



But more than that,  here it was St. Patty's Day, a funeral for clearly a Spanish man, and I am singing Oh Danny Boy.  I truly cannot get much better than that.. unless they wanted Hava nagila as their sending song.  Could you imagine?



I do hope that everyone had a safe St. Patty's day..

Peace, love and coffee

Meliss-


No comments:

Post a Comment